Milan 2017: Multiplex
This April we brought MULTIPLEX to Milan - in the iconic Cinema and Galleria on via Manzoni - the epicentre of the city’s cultural and luxury shopping district. Against the backdrop of 50’s Italian glamour, we told the stories and showed our products of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. The enormous 840-seat cinema and historic Galleria played host to a combination of culture, entertainment and commerce – the very essence of Milan Design Week.
Newness launching at MULTIPLEX
Tom Dixon X IKEA
IKEA will run a Film Festival at MULTIPLEX, highlighting the DELAKTIG ‘living platform’ project, our collaboration with the international behemoth. DELAKTIG is an experiment that challenges the conventional methods of creation and distribution of furniture and explores the notions of adaptability and futureproofing. The Bed-Sofa will be shown for the first time at MULTIPLEX.
As part of the DELAKTIG project and its open-source ambitions, we have also partnered with BEMZ – a Swedish textile design company specialising in custom-made covers for IKEA furniture - to create a unique collection of covers. We will be previewing a haute-couture concept of a DELAKTIG cover, with BEMZ, in the VIP lounge of MULTIPLEX.
Both DELAKTIG and Bemz x Tom Dixon will launch to the public in 2018.
Read more about hacking IKEA.
Every day at MULTIPLEX
- Drinks at the Johnnie Walker VIP Lounge and complimentary Whisky mentoring sessions, hosted by Global Brand Ambassador Tom Jones.
- The Hack Bar: A cafe created by Arabeschi di Latte with Bibendum Food Experience, serving cinema and bar classics with a twist.
- The Corn Kiosk: Hack of the classic popcorn kiosk, turning popcorn into real dishes. Piles of corn are ready to be spiced up with fresh and dried condiments, from bacon to sage, from dried tomatoes to charcoal.
- Complimentary Gelato by Carpigiani, flavoured by Antonella Bondi and served in ceramics cones hand-made by 1882 Ltd.
- Exclusive preview of the Tom Dixon x BEMZ custom-made covers, including a haute-design/couture concept of a DELAKTIG cover, to be displayed in the VIP lounge of MULTIPLEX.
- A Rubber Shop curated by tyre giant Pirelli and Italian motorcycle manufacturer Moto Guzzi – showcasing for the first time a Tom Dixon x Moto Guzzi bike and limited-edition tyres designed by Tom.
- Also in The Rubber Shop: handmade chewing gum performances will be created by Arabeschi di Latte with London based Mexican designer Fernando Laposse.
- A Perfumery shop operated by department store la Rinascente
- A Chandelier shop showcasing our latest adventures in optics & reflectivity.
- An Antiques Shop curated by Giustini / Stagetti Galleria O. Roma.
- 5 more shops in the Galleria operated by leading home sound system SONOS, IOTA (a social project striving to design beautiful handmade objects for the interior while creating jobs for otherwise unemployed people worldwide), furniture maker MABEO, luxury surface brand COMPAC (in collaboration with acclaimed artist and designer Arik Levy) and IKEA.
MULTIPLEX becomes a platform for fresh ideas, classic design and innovation, with a series of collaborators working on radical interventions on the theme of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.